Running On Empty (Mending Hearts, #1) - L.B. Simmons "So much has happened over the last twenty-four hours. I guess that's the sign of a true friend; you can literally go years without speaking, but when you meet again you just pick up right where you left off, never skipping a beat."

This was such a beautiful story about second chances. The story begins three after Alex and her three daughters have lost her husband, their father Derek. Alex has never fully recovered from his death. Through it all Alex's friend Harlow has been by her side and been her rock. In comes her childhood friend Blake. Blake, I can't even express how much I loved him. He was kind, patient, supportive, forgiving, and I can go and on and on. Though their friendship ended abruptly- they were able to mend their friendship. I like that the author took her time mending their friendship, letting it grow. It was such a breath of fresh air.

Why 4 stars and not 5. I really wanted an alternating POV between Alex and Blake. Though the story was meant to be about Alex- I felt that Blake was just as important and deserved a voice.

That being said I would definitely recommend this book. This book filled me with so much warmth. It truly is a moving story about friendships, family, forgiveness, and love.